Founder Chats: Everything You Need to Know
During the first three months of each Cohort, we host a series of Founder Chats over dinner. These are designed to give our UnLtd USA founders an intimate glimpse of what it’s really like to launch and grow a company.
Unlike a traditional class or talk, these chats are opportunities for new founders to learn from your hard-earned wisdom through your personal story of building your company -- the story that’s off the record, and that you probably don’t often share in public. We think that these untold stories are often the ones that matter most to entrepreneurs starting up. Not just what went right, but what went wrong? How did you fix it?
How will it work?
You’ll be in the room with 5 founders who are in our current cohort. The structure will be informal and we like to host these dinners in a home. We’ll spend the first 15 minutes chatting, then we’ll all sit down for dinner, and after dinner you’ll have 30-45 minutes to share. Afterwards, we’ll give the cohort a chance to ask you questions. We’ll finish by 7:30pm.
What should I share?
The format is simple: Just tell your story. Avoid giving advice about what the founders should do with their ventures. Instead, let them “look over your shoulders” as you tell them about what you did, what you learned, and how you felt about it.
Here are some questions to guide your sharing:
- Take us back to the very early days of your venture. What happened? What were you thinking and feeling?
- When did things go wrong?
- What was a big mistake you made? What did you do about it?
- What’s an assumption you made that turned out to be incorrect? When and how did you correct it?
- What’s something that happened in the early days of your company that you normally never tell?
- What are you most proud of?
5pm-5:15pm Informal conversations with cohort members
5:15pm - 6pm Dinner
6pm - 6:45pm Your story